Pages

10.24.2016

Sick Soup




The day's assignment: a simple loop run at training pace; longer but not exceptionally fast.


Along with the regular group I set out for the run.






After each step, I found myself sliding my tongue over my teeth.  After each mile, I noticed.   After each half way mark, I questioned myself: your breathing is good, your muscle's are fine, are you hungry?


As each stride became a fight, I struggle to form the logic behind the excuse: my face hurts.






It was my first sinus infection and to me it made no sense, but hundreds of tooth-achey steps later I've developed a punch packed all natural team:  ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, ACV, and (of course) netti pot.


Oh, and soup, lots and lots of soup.


Like this one that helped me survive my first cold of the season.  A turmeric and ginger boosted base that will help raise your immune system while fighting inflammation, the warming cayenne in the broth will help melt your nose off your face, and the silken tofu will help keep you full while giving you an energy boost - so you can lace up your shoes a little tighter and keep striding!







Silk Soup with Ginger and Turmeric

Ingredients
  • 3 c veggie broth
  • 2 T grated ginger
  • 2 t turmeric
  • 3 cl garlic, minced
  • 1/2 t cayenne powder
  • 1/4 c soy sauce
  • 1/4 T rice vinegar
  • 1 block silken tofu
  • 2 servings rice noodles
  • 2 c mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 large carrot, grated
  • 1/4 c parsley or cilantro
  • 1/4 c scallions
  • 1-2 limes, juiced and zested

Combine
  1. Bring the broth, ginger, turmeric, garlic, cayenne, and soy sauce to a boil in a large pot over high heat.
  2. Crumble the tofu into the pot and continue to boil for 15 minutes then reduce the heat to medium and simmer for another 15 minutes.
  3. Add the mushrooms, carrot, and rice noodles and boil for another 5 minutes.
  4. Stir in the parsley, scallions, and lime.
  5. Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment