Pages

10.13.2016

Sunshine Soup




This weekend finally marked the official change of seasons for me: I dragged boxes of sweaters out from under my bed, I brought of my heaviest down blanket, and I almost had my first-of-many near death experiences by way of going to bed in my freezing apartment with shower hair.






In addition to waking up with a serious case of bed head and an even more serious neck cramp, I found myself seriously grateful for dusting off my soup pot while taking a break from being buried beneath fluffy knitwear.






I decided to kick the soup season off with one of my simplest but favorite recipes.






Reading through the ingredient list you may notice it sounds a little different compared to most soup recipes, and I'm more than certain you're questioning the use of OJ, but a recipe followed from an aged index card never lies!






Although the orange stands out on the ingredient list, it acts as more of a background player in the actual soup itself.  It creates a beautiful aroma to help draw your hand towards the spoon, then creates this platform of brightness on which a hint of smoky paprika and herby parsley play.  Although there is a definite sweetness from the tomato, potato, and juice, their varying levels of acidity complement each other laterally rather than building up and are balanced out by a subtle hint of peppery spice.


So trust me when I say this bowl is different in a good way!








Sunshine Soup

Author unknown


Ingredients
  • 2-3 T olive oil
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1/2 jalapeno or 1/2 t red pepper flakes
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 small sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes, with the juice
  • 4 c water
  • 3 t salt
  • 1 t smoked paprika
  • 1/2 t cumin
  • 1/2 t black pepper
  • 1 orange, juiced and zested
  • 1 can black beans
  • 1 c packed parsley leaves, roughly chopped


Combine
  1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat until it shimmers.  Add the onion and jalapeno and cook for 3 minutes.
  2. Add the garlic and sweet potatoes and cook for another 2-3 minutes until the garlic is fragrant.
  3. Add in the tomatoes with the juice, water, salt, and spices.  Bring to a boil for 10 minutes then simmer for 20 minutes.
  4. Stir in the black beans, orange juice, and orange zest and simmer for another 10 minutes.
  5. Mix in the parsley and enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment