Pages

9.21.2016

One for the books




After a long day spent running around in the sun there was nothing better sounding than fresh greens, crisp things, and ricotta cream.


A sweet pause button enjoyed at the open fronted restaurant Lea as the setting sun stretched out across the sky in bands of gold and pink beyond the street.






A deep breath in a bowl.


A means to lean back a little easier.


A feel good clean you want to eat again and again.






Within a week after this dinner my whole mouth was craving these flavors again, so I took it home, only to realize this salad wasn't as relaxing as I thought.






After tossing the ingredients together the first time I sat down to a soggy bowl of ricotta smeared greens: still flavorful but not quite right.


So of course I had to make it again.






A little research showed me that I might be using the wrong type of ricotta, but wanting to keep the fresh vibe of the salad, I wasn't convinced it's aged counterpart would do the trick.  In mixing the two together I found the cheese could form a chunk that didn't weigh the greens down, a delicious blend that was perfect.


So perfect that it took me well past daylight to get it right.  Which meant no pictures.  Which of course meant I had to make it again.


As I tossed the ingredients together for a third time I started to question if I really meant that this was a salad one could eat again and again.  With a fridge full of leftover asparagus, peas, and radish behind me I sat down finally.


I took the final first bite and it hit me again.


A pause, a deep breath, and a soul beaming with victorious glory.







Ricotta Salad

Inspired by Lea

Ingredients
  • Asparagus, blanched
  • Bread
  • 1-2 radish, chopped
  • Greens, of choice
  • Mint
  • White vinegar
  • Olive oil
  • Salt and pepper
  • Snap peas, chopped
  • Snow peas, chopped
  • Ricotta
  • Hard cheese (such as ricotta salata, parmesan, or asiago), grated


Combine
For the asparagus:
  1. Fill a large mixing bowl halfway with cold water and a few ice cubes.
  2. Cut the hard bottom ends off the asparagus, then cut each stem in half.
  3. Add half an inch of water to a large pot with a steamer, bring the water to a boil, add the asparagus and cover the pot, steaming for 2-3 minutes until the asparagus turns bright green.
  4. Dump the asparagus into a strainer, then submerge the strainer in the ice-bath for 3 minutes until the asparagus is cooled.
For the toast:
  1. Toast slices of bread to liking, spread with a little ricotta cheese.
  2. Slice the radish very thinly.
  3. Heat a little olive oil in a small pan over medium heat.  Add the radish, cook until browned, then dump on toast.
For the salad:
  1. In a large mixing bowl whisk together a little oil and a little vinegar.
  2. Gently toss the greens and mint until just covered.
  3. In a small mixing bowl, toss teaspoons of ricotta with parmesan.
  4. Toss the ricotta, peas, asparagus, and greens gently together.
  5. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment