Pages

10.07.2015

Chile Pepper Fest

The other weekend Brooklyn Botanic Garden hosted a Chile Pepper Festival that was exactly as hot as it sounds!


Between feeling my tongue melting out of my mouth, endlessly searching for tissues, and being blissfully immersed in hot-sauce heaven I managed to pick a few favorite must-haves:




1. Jacky's James and Jellies takes the award for best jelly.  The mild is very mild and has a spice level friendly to most mouths.  The hot was HOT, but still flavorful enough to be tasty, making it great for incorporating in recipes (think cheese platter, baked brie, thumbprint cookies, etc.)


2. The Bronx Hot Sauce is definitely the best green hot sauce that I've had in awhile.  It's deliciously spicy with a hint of lime on the finish and comes with the satisfaction of supporting a community!


3. My Mustard Chicken post may not have fully reflected my love for spicy mustard - I am obsessed and will literally eat it on anything!   Holy Schmitt's Homemade Horseradish makes the best I have ever had in my life, it is an absolute must try!  They also make a beet horseradish that magically manages to capture the sweet beet flavor while still keeping the horseradish burn.


4.  Torchbearer Sauces makes not-hot sauces that are deliciously flavorful, and hot-hot sauces that will make you frantic for a tissue.  Despite the claim that Psycho Curry was their most popular sauce of the day, I have to say the Smokey Horseradish was so good I want to eat it daily.  It has a medium spice to it, is loaded with flavor, and has the perfect consistency that means you literally can use it for anything!
5.  The brownie I waited all week for came from La Newyorkina Mexican Sweets and it did not disappoint.  It's soft, fudgey texture held the perfect balance between cocoa and spice with a little bit of smoke for added depth - the only downside was the seeds!


6.  Little Bird Chocolates: the best spicy chocolate I have ever had.  Ever.


7.  Although the spicy chocolates from Raaka Chocolates were not as impressive, especially in comparison to the Little Bird booth next door, the Coconut Milk Chocolate and the Maple & Nib bars are to die for.  Fun fact: you can tour their factory 4 days a week AND learn how to make chocolate from scratch on the weekends - I cannot wait to go!


8.  Whimsy & Spice: pumpkin ginger sandwich cookies - order yours today because yes, they ship nationwide!


No comments:

Post a Comment