Pages

10.13.2015

The Almost Salmonella Story






Almost, but not quite.


This story is not really about salmonella.  It's about a signature saute, one that I've enjoyed countless times with numerous variations including the vegetarian version that started it all, that somehow came out... a little different.


The delicious flavors were there but something was very wrong.


I started to slow down as I chewed, started to inspect the meat for traces of pink: was it overcooked? Undercooked?  Although I was in denial that my trusty thermometer - the one I use for temp checks every time I cook meat - could have lead me astray, I tossed out the remainder of my plate then bravely placed the rest of the baked chicken back in the oven.  Several extra degrees later the now dry and rock solid chicken was most certainly overcooked... but still.... wrong.


A week of paranoia ensued, and as I waited for salmonella, or bird flu, or something to hit I desperately researched possible explanations of my weird chicken experience.  The paranoia quickly evaporated: this chicken was plumped.


My vegetarian past-life flashed before my eyes: I was equally grossed out about eating a half-fake chicken and ashamed at having purchased such a sad thing so naively.  Although I still eat a majorly vegetarian diet, meat has become a welcome part of my diet again too.  It's made recovering from workouts easier, absorbing vitamins more possible, and honestly, it's made meals more exciting and enjoyable.


So this may not be a story about salmonella and the moral of the story isn't that I'm going to cut meat out of my diet again, but it's more of a story about how we're not always getting what we think we're buying.  I don't think it's a sustainable solution to cut everything scary or questionable out of my diet so I am determined to find a middle ground.  Technically saline is "not really" a harmful additive, but the knowledge that my chicken needed a saline-botox to look healthy and edible is really gross!  Luckily, I've discovered companies have to mark altered products, so in addition to checking for notes about use of hormones, additives, preservatives, and dyes we can also check the label for notes about salt content, or use of brine or broth.  I've had a lot of luck with  both the quality and price of Stop and Shop's in house organic and natural brands as well as Halal butchers and will probably stick to them for "safer" purchases, especially after finding that Whole Foods plumps too.


Be aware of what you're buying but don't give up - you can find un-altered chicken and once you do you can make this recipe.  Sounds like a moral to the story and a reward!






Balsamic Chicken and Chard with Polenta

Ingredients
  • 1 lb of chicken breasts
  • Olive oil, salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar
  • 4 cl garlic, roughly chopped
  • 1/2 onion, sliced
  • 1 bunch chard, chopped
  • 1/2 c olives, sliced
  • 1 c sundried tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 c polenta + 4 c water + a pinch of salt
Combine
  1. Cut any extra fat off the chicken, let marinate in balsamic vinegar for ~20 minutes, then drain, lightly oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  2. While you wait preheat your over to 350 degrees, line a baking sheet with parchment paper, prep your veggies, bring 4 cups of salted water to boil in a small pot with tall sides, and heat a little oil in a skillet.
  3. Toss the chicken in the oven and let bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
  4. Saute the onion in a pan for 5-7 minutes until turning translucent and golden.
  5. Add the garlic and saute for another 2 minutes.
  6. Add the chard, olives, and sun-dried tomatoes and saute until the chard is just wilted.
  7. Meanwhile bring 4 cups of salted water to a boil and add the polenta.  Stir constantly as it thickens and add more water if necessary until it is pale yellow and thickened throughout.
  8. Top a bed of the cooked polenta with chard and chicken.  Drizzle with extra balsamic if desired and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment